7 Steps to Boost Your Immune System Daily
Jun 01, 2020 09:00AM
By by Dr. Ruth Rodriguez, DO
During this time of additional stress, it is important to incorporate daily activities to stay healthy. Here are some recommendations to bring balance back to your everyday life.
- Daily Outdoor Time: A minimum of 15 minutes in the fresh air – such as playing, riding, or walking – provides needed sunlight exposure for vitamin D. 15-60 minutes depending on your skin tone.
- Choose healthy foods. Eat organic, vegan, and non-GMO products as much as possible. Purchase foods that are labeled no pesticides or no hormones. Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables (7-13 servings). Avoid junk food high in sugar and saturated fats.
- Stay hydrated. Drink a minimum of six or more glasses of water daily. Average of two glasses for toddlers and two to four glasses for school-aged children.
- Sleep. Get as much sleep as you can. An average eight hours is recommended. Let children sleep as much as they want for an average of 8 to 12 hours.
- Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every other day. Our bodies are built to move. Increasing your heart rate will burn off adrenaline created by stress hormones faster.
- Minimize your stress. Find what helps you feel connected. Talk, meditate, or read inspirational material alone or with children. Check on family members and aging parents regularly to ensure all is well. Stay connected with friends and family via Facetime, Skype or Zoom.
- Tend the Mind~Body~ Spirit Connection. Connect with the Divine Daily in a method aligned with your spiritual connection. Meditation and prayer can be tools to access our "superpower."