Show some TLC to your TMJ
Aug 31, 2018 03:15PM
● By Dr. Claire Stagg
The Temporomandibular Joint, commonly known as TMJ, does so much for us, but when something just isn’t right it can make basic functions of daily life difficult. Here’s how to recognize that you may be experiencing issues with your TMJ:
- Facial Pain
- Earaches, Congestion, and Ringing Ears
- Neck Pain or Stiffness
- Click, Pop, or Grating Sound in Jaw Joints
- Pain Behind the Eyes
- Clenching or Grinding Teeth
- Numbness or Tingling of the Fingers
- Tired Jaws
TMJ disorders can have many causes such as whiplash, arthritis, bad posture, stress, and an incorrect bite. However, here are some things you can do to show your TMJ some love. The best part is that these tips will take care of all the joints in your body, not just the TMJs.
- Healthy Diet: Green leafy vegetables, fish protein, fresh fruit, and well steamed vegetables help neutralize blood pH which can be helpful in reducing pain and inflammation all over the body. Stay away from sugar.
- Drink plenty of water. Wash out those toxins which also contribute to inflammation.
- Calcium is important, but milk and cheese contain phosphates which can predispose your body to pain. Try kale and collard greens instead.
- Switch to free-range eggs and poultry. These are free of steroids and acids which interfere with our immune systems and promote inflammation.
- Reduce stress! Nothing can affect overall health like stress. In cases of TMJ disorders, it promotes inflammation which causes more pain. Try walking outdoors, meditation, visiting one of our great beaches, yoga, or whatever brings you a few moments of peace.
Best of all, it is important to be evaluated by your TMJ Dentist, who has completed specialized training in TMJ disorders. He or she will be able to get to the root cause of your symptoms and can prescribe a treatment program to heal and maintain your TMJ health.
Claire Stagg, DDS, MS, at Health Connections Dentistry, practices whole-body holistic dentistry with an emphasis on TMJ, Head, Neck and Facial Pain Therapy. Dr. Stagg is located at 2120 Highway A1A, in Indian Harbour Beach, 321-777-2797. For more information on the TMJ joint and TMJ disorders, visit SmileProfessionals.com.