5 Tips for a Raw Food Diet
Apr 14, 2011 06:33PM
● By By Jason Santini
Eating only raw and organic fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds is the best thing one can do to enhance the experience of living in this human body. Health transformations such as weight loss, detox, improving mental clarity and even aging backwards are all common side effects of this lifestyle.
When eating organic raw vegan foods, the proof is always in the pudding. No promises or hype is necessary as positive change is the instant and common sense reality of eating plants.
Below are five tips for successfully transitioning into eating a raw food diet.
1. Buy a wide variety. Keep fresh organic, always organic, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds on hand so that you have a selection of high quality foods to choose from. Plan on eating all of the food raw and then do it. Overcome any lack of knowledge or creativity with an abundance of selection at first. As time passes and you learn to prepare a few items that you enjoy, you’ll know which foods to purchase more of to fulfill your individual needs. If a raw food diet consisted of just "carrots and celery" it would be very difficult to maintain, but luckily, there are literally thousands of simple and amazingly delicious options available to anyone interested in better living.
2. Invest in a quality blender and use it. Blended foods like smoothies are probably the best transitional food one can eat. By blending foods, the cell walls in the foods are broken down to maximize absorption and minimize the amount of energy necessary for digestion. A complete days worth of food can be made in less than 5 minutes with a good blender and a plan. Eating blended foods will allow your body to easily absorb and utilize the nutrients contained in the high-quality raw organic foods you consume.
3. Get into it. Buy a nutrition book or take a course on healthy eating to arm yourself with a little knowledge. Locate a local meeting place for fellow conscious health- seekers and go there often for support and camaraderie. Just as misery loves company; Love, Peace, Truth and Vitality love company too.
4. Make health goals. Set them up as if you’re running a marathon, not a sprint. Positive change is immediate but real healing takes time, relax and be patient. Don’t take yourself too seriously either. "Messing up" is part of learning what is right and wrong for you. Just remember to be true to yourself and let your heart lead the way. In time as your body balances itself, the cravings for poisonous foods will fade away and you’ll find yourself craving dark leafy greens and sprouts and the life-force within.
5. Love yourself. Loving yourself is important as it does take more time to eat a raw food diet at the beginning. Like everything of value, it takes work. By eating an organic raw diet, your health situation will greatly improve in every way and you’re an active part of the change we all wish to see in the world. It may cost more money in the beginning, but as your knowledge base grows, it will become easier and less expensive.
Easy Green Smoothie Recipe: Makes 2 quarts (half a gallon)
1/3 bunch kale
2 cups baby spinach
3 frozen bananas
optional: pineapple, mango, berries, etc.
Blend greens with water. Add fruit and blend until smoothy. Enjoy.
Jason Santini owns and operates Happy Healthy Human, Community Life Center and Raw Vegan Cafe in Indian Harbour Beach. He will be presenting Raw Food Diet Made Easy at the Healthy Living Expo on May 1st. See expo supplement starting on page 51 for details. The Happy Healthy Human is located at 1869 South Patrick Drive in Indian Harbour Beach. For more information call 321-779-0077.