Brown Bagging Weight Loss Tips
Apr 06, 2011 09:50AM
Bringing your own lunch can be a key factor for weight loss. Creative options for watching your carbs can help. Here are some brown bagging tips.
- Low carb wraps and pitas are good substitutes for traditional breads. The lower carb content allows us to have more favorable carbs, such as vegetables and fruits.
- Condiments add spice and flavor. Add a small amount of curry paste to your light canola mayonnaise. Try a horse radish sauce or Dijonnaise.
- Grocery stores have many spreads, such as Spicy Indian Relish, Sun Dried Tomato Bruschetta, Eggplant Garlic Spread, Fire Roasted Red and yellow Peppers, and Sweet and Hot Mustard.
- Prepare extra lean protein. Leftovers may be made into salads and fillings for your sandwiches/rollups. Use romaine lettuce leaves as a replacement for your wrap. This allows you to add more favorable carbs, such as tossed salad and fruit.
- Purchase sandwich fixings at your supermarkets salad bar. Most have arugula, roasted veggies, sun dried tomatoes, cucumbers, sliced mushrooms, sprouts, grilled chicken, and tuna fish.
When you combine protein, carbohydrate, and fat, just one wrap and a piece of fruit will satisfy you for hours. Use this list to easily create your sandwich:
Lean protein: Tuna fish, deli turkey, roasted chicken, roast beef, grilled pork tenderloin, egg beaters – egg salad, low fat cheese, Boca burgers, nuggets (note the carbs), canned smoked fish
Favorable Carbohydrates: Low carb wraps and breads, salads, vegetables, fruits, hummus
Healthy Fats: Light mayo made with canola or olive oil or soy based Nayonnaise, guacamole, Tapenade (olive paste)
A flatbread rollup with 3 to 6 ounces of lean protein stuffed with veggies, your favorite spread and a piece of fruit for desert can keep you going for four hours. You probably won’t feel stuffed, however, because being satisfied hormonally (not hungry) is the key.
Deepti Sadhwani, MD is located at Quality Health Care in Sebastian. She specializes in Zone Dietary Management of obesity. For more information on with loss call Dr. Sadhwani at 772-581-2373.