Connect with the Warrior Within
Apr 01, 2011 01:46AM
● By Linda Morse
The yoga posture Warrior II, is sometimes called the Hero Pose. This exemplifies the proud warrior and engages all the strength we posses in a calm and controlled manner. We radiate out in all directions with the courage to meet life exactly as it is. Through any of life’s issues – past, present and future – we remain grounded.
This pose develops concentration, balance and poise. It strengthens legs, hip joints, back, arms, shoulders and neck. It brings resiliency to the spine and proper placement for bones and muscles. This stimulates digestion, improves circulation and respiration. Witness consciousness and the ability to stay calm can be developed with longer holding for several breaths.
- From basic standing, step wide for a leg’s length distance with feet parallel. Draw arms to the side at shoulder height.
- Pivot right foot so it is open 90 degrees, and the other to the same direction. Hips stay open to the original facing, with shoulders aligned over hips.
- Bend the right knee keeping it vertically aligned over the ankle.
- Engage muscles, gaze out beyond fingers of right hand, breathe deeply, and energize in all directions.
- Repeat on other side, and own the warrior within you.
Linda M. Morse is the Director of Yoga Center and Yoga Teacher Training Program. The Yoga Center is located at 1540 S. John Rodes Blvd. in W. Melbourne. For more information call 321-728-0300, or visit www.YogaCenterMelbourne.com